Wednesday, July 29, 2026

It doesn't does, but it could! Wisconsin and Michigan, Day 1

Given that we are moving before the end of the year, Derek and I wanted to get back to the Upper Peninsula to rockhound on Lake Superior. Our first trip was a bit too fast for us, not enough time spent on the lake. So we threw together a trip, saved up, and were able to manage a much greater trip than we would have been able to afford because Derek's mom generously allowed us to stay at her townhouse in Madison, Wisconsin. 

I didn't really document this trip the way I normally document trips, because like...it was a rock trip? It wasn't a sightseeing trip like we were taking every yar, and will continue in a couple of years once we get settled in our new place. The last couple of years have been a weird back and forth so we haven't felt "safe" planning our usual yearly trips, but this little jaunt was a different story. 

So. 

The lowdown on what we were doing? Heading up to the UP to rockhound on Lake Superior, staying for a few days; heading back down to Wisconsin and spending the day with Derek's mom. Then heading over to Milwaukee to go to The Gem Shop's Box and Bucket sale, from there heading to The Gem Shop itself, then heading to Lake Michigan to rockhound and spending the night. THEN we'd head back to Madison and spend the remainder of our time with family. 

I didn't really take as many pictures as I normally would, so there really won't be too terribly many long, intense rewrites about what we did. 

Day one, we just drove. We got into the car several hours later than I personally intended, and our drive was very uneventful. Save two events:

Seeing my favorite vanity license plate ever:


Yes. Corn Chip. Absolutely. 

And getting impaled by a mystery piece of steel and bleeding all fucking over myself and the car and needing to get a tetanus shot. 

Now this I did not get a picture of, but I DID finally find out what I got impaled by, and I took a picture of that. 


Sure. Now that we're all aware that I was impaled by the little squiggle on my carbonated water machine (you can see my blood on it!), my use of the word "impaled" is hyperbolic and perhaps a bit silly. I hear you. 

But I also don't care. I was IMPALED. 

I have health anxiety, and I wasn't going to rest easily until I got a tetanus shot. I got one the next morning, on our way out. 

But that's for the next day. 

We arrived at Derek's mom's, she had gotten us Ha Long Bay for dinner, and we had dinner together and just chatted until we went to sleep a few hours later. 

Even with my DRASTIC IMPALING, it was a really uneventful drive and day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment